May 29, 2014

May 15

Things are going great! I seriously love every day, even when I'm tired and frustrated with the language, it's great. I love all the stuff I'm learning. 
SO GET THIS, Elder L. Tom Perry came this last week, crazy! So I have seen 3 Apostles in 3 weeks, which is basically unheard of. Even more so is that before I even got to the MTC, 3 others had recently been here, so 6 Apostles in 6 or 7 weeks have come the the MTC. It has been so cool and I have loved it. 
 
My "God's Church eraser" moment is nothing compared to some things one of my companions said :P hahah, she was trying to pray in Korean, and express thanks for our teachers, but she pronounced teacher backwards, which still is a word, apparently, and is a cooked fish of some kind, so she was saying "thanks for the Mr. Cooked fish"  (Mr. because she honor-fyed it too :P ) Afterwards, our teacher told us and was just laughing :P THEN during a lesson, she was trying to say "through prayer, I receive faith", but mispronounced receive, so she said "through prayer, I sell faith" Our teacher had to briefly cover his face behind a book so he could laugh. THEN in another lesson, she was trying to ask him what he thought and felt, but she said some things wrong and mispronounced it, and said basically "your thoughts are cheesy". hahahhaha, once we found out, it was SOOOO funny. man oh man. we get a laugh all the time. Other funny stuff with my companions is Sister Hill and I like to talk in Batman voices, so we have had so many funny moments with that. I love my companions. They crack me up :P 



Something we learned about Korean, a standard greeting is literally translated to "have you eaten?" and I think it stems from the war. and so people still say that today. It's so interesting to learn about Korean culture, how they are so formal, and what they find disrespectful, and just how they think, etc. It's really interesting. As missionaries, we mostly speak in high form, which is very polite, but there are other forms, which you use based on age, gender, occupation, marital status, relationship with that person, etc. and so they just know what to use in each situation. We only get taught high and middle form, but it's not that hard to pick up on the others. There are some native Korean sisters here who we were talking to, and she was explaining some of it. I'm really excited to be able to speak fluently and understand what my teacher is saying, but especially our "investigators". Sometimes it's really frustrating to want to say something but not be able to, or to understand what the investigator is saying. that's usually the worst. so hard, but we are getting so much better at it, and our lessons/teaching skills are getting a lot better, even if our Korean is so-so. It's amazing what we can get across with the little we know. Because our class is just the 3 of us, our teachers are able to focus on each of us individually, so our teachers have said they are quite excited to be teaching such a small group because they can help us individually; because of that, we are quite advanced compared to the other missionaries who have been here longer. We have learned things like how to use "if", and they just learned it a few days before we did. When we tell them what we did in class they are usually like "whaaaat, we just learned that last week!" so basically we're awesome ;) haha, kidding... we really just need to practice speaking fluently. I'm having so much fun, I LOVE LEARNING. It's great stuff. I can't say that enough. I'm so glad to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment