April 5, 2015

February 2, 2015

My first week in Ulsan has been good! I really like Sis Erickson, who kind of reminds me of Mikaila because she is really healthy and active and such. She's doing pretty good at leading the area, but we have gotten lost a number of times :P Haha. But it's okay, 'cuz I remember my 3rd transfer.. :P
This week has been pretty good. It started with Monday night, when we had a Family Home Evening thingy with the ward, so I got to meet some ward members. COOL THING: There's a member who married a Czech man and lives in Switzerland most of the time, but every year comes back for a few months to visit her parents and connect with friends, so she speaks German! Wooo! It was fun to refresh my German a little bit, but it has definitely gotten rusty. I can still communicate just fine though, but Korean words like to try to pop out. :P 

A weird picture from our District from last transfer
Anyways, Tuesday was really busy. We met an investigator who is really nice, but maybe not progressing much at the moment, because her husband died about 2 months ago and he didn't want her to get baptized, so we are trying to help her with that. We also met another investigator at her art studio, which was fun. She was really nice too. Then we had  English class, which is a lot more low key than Gwangan's was (Gwangan English = ridiculous).
We had District Meeting, and later that night we met with an American member who is in Korea teaching English. It was super weird to teach in English, 'cuz I'm so used to Korean.
Thursday we had an AWESOME day planned, but nothing went according to plan, except for doing a service activity in the morning. It was at a soup kitchen, and was pretty similar to what I did in Haeundae, but this time it was indoors. After that, our planned appointment cancelled because she thought it was at 11, not 1, and she didn't have time later. Then we planned to meet someone else at 4, but she just didn't show up, and texted us 25 minutes later saying she couldn't come, and then the last appointment was with the Korean/Swiss member and her parents, but she got sick... And also all of our back up plans didn't work out, because what we planned to do was closed. So... we did weekly planning. :P
Saturday we had an interesting appointment... It was this lady who they had met fairly recently, but because Sis Erickson is so new and doesn't understand all that is going on, she didn't know much about her. But this lady wanted to meet with a member too, but had a list of qualities that she wanted the member to have. Previously, the sisters had tried suggesting 2 members, but she had shot down those ideas without even meeting them, so we were really excited when she accepted to meet with the Korean/Swiss member, LeeDongSun (?). But the appointment was kind of weird. She wasn't very friendly and didn't talk to Sis Erickson and I very much, but just fired a lot of questions at Sis Lee about weird stuff, like when EXACTLY Jesus Christ will come again, and if Adam was really made from dust and Eve from his rib, what is the meaning of the 10 women with oil, etc. I didn't understand all that much, but I could tell she was asking these weird, hard questions. So I was grateful Sis Lee was there :P But no matter what we said, she didn't like our answers. She didn't even consider them and just shot them down, saying "no, that's not right. no, that doesn't seem right." So we did what we could to try to help her, tried testifying that the way to get the answers to her questions is to pray sincerely and aks God, but she wasn't buying any of it. She... wasn't open, and was expecting some sort of sign or something very specific that she has in mind for an answer. So, we decided to stop meeting her. I don't think she wanted to meet with us anymore anyways, but it was just kind of sad to see someone who has a lot of questions, but is unwilling to do what is necessary to find those answers.

Anyways. Sunday was good, I got to meet the members, and they were all really friendly and nice. Later that evening we met a really funny lady. She's so funny and so outgoing, and kind of eccentric. I was excited to meet her, because from what Sis Erickson said, she sounded really interesting. Hahaha. So. uh. If I understand correctly, she believes she has a ghost/spirit inside her? But that's okay because she believes in God. She actually is a sweet lady who, despite some eccentricities, has a really strong belief in and love for God. I really liked her and we spent most of our appointment just laughing, but she is also very sincere and agreed with the things we taught. 

This week I have felt a lot of gratitude, because this is my first time being the "senior" companion, meaning the one that has been on a mission longer. I was afraid that my Korean would not be up to the level it needs to be, because Sis Erickson is still really new and learning. So if I don't understand, she doesn't, so therefore, I HAVE to understand. But somehow this week, we've met with various people and I've understood most everything they have said. I don't know if that is because they have been speaking more simply for us because we are foreigners or what, but I feel like my understanding has suddenly jumped several levels. I feel really blessed and grateful that I have been able to have the knowledge necessary to do missionary work. I was worried :P

No comments:

Post a Comment