March 19, 2015

August 24, 2014

My mom had surgery this last week on her upper neck and I'm glad to hear that everything went well with it. I got a call from my mission president yesterday about it, saying that all was well, and I was really happy :) I had really been hoping for that :) I'm also super glad to hear that her non-surgery related pain is gone. She's suffered long enough! Haha.

Well, from my little corner of the world, things have been... interesting. :P Honestly most if it was pretty normal. But I did get ridiculously stuffed several times this week. We always talk about enduring to the end at church, and it's starting to have a new meaning of "enduring to the end of the meal". Sometimes it is seriously so hard to keep eaaaaaating. aaaaaah. I like food. A lot. But not this much :P 
Daegu from 20 story apartment building
We didn't meet with too many people this week because we had to do a lot of stuff to prepare for the Luau. One day we met with a recent convert, she's super nice, but she LOVES TO FEED. We ate just the food nonstop for AN HOUR or more. I was so relieved when that ended. But then came the fruit (basically Korean's dessert is fruit), which we had to munch on for about 2 hours. And all the while two middle aged women TALKED AND TALKED. Sis Sung and I barely could say anything, and could barely get through our lesson at the end because they would just start chatting. And the WHOLE appointment, I had no idea what was going on. It was legitimately awful. Perhaps that sounds silly, but my patience was REALLY tried. AHHH!. 
Buddhist Temple
Anyways. :P haha. The Luau on Saturday went so well!!! Both the Korean ward and the American ward were invited, and they invited a lot of friends, so about 100 people were there :D (for Korea, that's a lot). The gym was packed with people, and the show was awesome! I took some pictures and videos and it was super fun. There were various kinds of dances and such. Elder Mangakahia (spelling?) is from Australia, and his family does a lot of traditional dance performances. The Luau was basically all his idea, so we like to joke that the Luau was more of an "Elder Mang Talent Show". It was super cool. We had a lot of fun and we got to talk with a lot of fun people. A member brought a friend who has apparently read the Book of Mormon more than 10 times!! But she's afraid to come to church because her parents are strong Buddhists. But she wants to meet with us sometime soon. That was exciting :) Along with a lot of fun people, there was an English teacher there who is notorious among the missionaries as being CREEPY. He was really strange. Gave me the creepy-crawlies, honestly. He had absolutely no idea of social boundaries and such, and he was magnetized to anyone Caucasian. Really annoying. But I managed to avoid him most of the time, and the Elders and Sis Sung were looking out for me :P haha.




I think the most interesting day of the week was yesterday, Sunday. It was nuts! So much happened. After church, there was a baptism for one of the Elders' investigators, and there will be another one next week! That was really cool to see. There was a choir practice for the youth, and it was super fun because we got to see some other sisters from the zone who we normally don't get to see. And also we ate at the Fairhursts. :P And we had an appointment with the Elders to teach 3 kids English. That meeting was fine and normal, but we left there a bit late, and so we were in a HUGE hurry to get home on time, because it takes awhile by bus, and we have to be home by 9:30. Hoooowever, when we got to the bus station, there was a drunk guy there shouting at people. We could hear him from a little ways off, and when we got there, and he saw us, he started yelling about Mormons. I'm grateful I couldn't understand him. All I got was "Mormons" "Book of Mormon" and "America". According the Sis Sung, he was cussing a lot and saying stupid stuff about how we come to Korea to steal their money and such. I was glad that the Elders were with us, because even though I couldn't understand him, I felt really uncomfortable. And luckily he was so crazy that he stayed away from us and just shouted. What was ironic was he was drunk, smoking, and holding a Bible. People, honestly.... 
However, the situation made us jump on the first bus that came rather than wait for the fastest one home, so we ended up getting home after 9:30. It was QUITE the interesting experience, though.
Today has been good. I love P Day :) This week will be pretty busy, which is good :) I just hope they don't try to feed us too much. If that happens in too many consecutive days, I feel like dying. :P
I've been learning a lot this past week. I might have had a little melt-down again, but I'm over it now :P A mission is just hard in every way possible (physically, mentally, spiritually, etc), basically, and I got a little overwhelmed :P But it's aaaaalll goooood now :D I'm really glad I'm here. IT'S SO CRAZY THAT I'M ALREADY 4 MONTHS INTO MY MISSION. Like, seriously. What in the world. 18 months seems so short. and so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment